Sunday, November 7, 2010

There is something special bout that girl....

A little story to tell about Miss Hope Ann.....

I am now volunteering at her school every Monday, which I feel so blessed to be able to do, and when I got there last week the kids were on the playground.

I was watching Hope and noticed she was running around playing with a little boy. Hope's Teacher, Miss Eva, came over and told me that Hope had befriended that little boy, Jacob. She proceeded to tell me that no other children really gave him the time of day because he can be somewhat hard to deal with (he is autistic) and he tends to keep to himself. Miss Eva told me that all school year he has not interacted with any other children, until Hope that is! I guess Hope has taken him under her wing, and just last week for the first time he is interacting with another child and that child is Hope. As we were watching them on the playground, Jacob had run into a part of the playground that the Kindergartens are not allowed to go, but Hope stayed where she was suppose to and we could tell that Hope was convincing him to come back, which he did. As I stood there with the teacher, I was awe struck by my 5 year old, I had tears in my eyes. Later that day after talking with Hope, she tells me "you know mommy, Jacob has different needs than the rest of us, so we have to help him understand what school is all about and be his friend".

As a mother I could not be more proud. The fact that she tried so hard to accept this child when no other child would and become his friend is so amazing to me. But what is even more amazing is that he is interacting with her, when all school year he has not interacted with any other child. Travis and I have always tried to tell Hope that she should always be kind, caring and accept with open arms people who may be perceived different, perceived being the operative word, after all we are not that different from each other. That is the true work of God! We have always told her to be God's hands and feet on this earth. There is no greater gift than to love like Christ, unconditionally. I am one proud Mama! God bless that little child, the tender heart. She is named so perfect, she is our Hope for a better world
!

No comments:

Post a Comment